Monday, May 22, 2017

Bu's baptism!


Yesterday, Bu was baptized. So many miracles went into this event. Last week on Sunday we invited him to be baptized, and he said, "I know that everything you tell me is true, but I don't know if I know enough to get baptized yet..." Just then, the church got really loud and some kids interrupted our lesson and Elder Stout and I looked at each other, and in that moment, if we had said nothing, then that's how it would've ended. But in that moment we opened our mouths, even though it was scary, and said, "Bu, you know enough. When we were baptized, we were 8 years old. We had never read the bible, we didn't know much, but we knew that the Book of Mormon caused us to feel the spirit, and that praying made us feel joy. We didn't know everything, but we knew enough. And it's the same with you."
He thought about it for a couple minutes, and then we said, "Will you pray about it, and ask God tonight if you should be baptized?"
That night we called the entire zone and asked all of the missionaries to pray. I also asked all of you to pray :) The next time we saw him on Tuesday morning, he welcomed us in with a big smile. He sat us down, we laid out some pictures for the lesson we'd prepared, and then he asked, "What time is the baptism?"


He passed his interview with flying colors, at church right after the meetings ended we drove up to Niigata, and at the baptism, Elder T. Stout preformed the ordinance. Afterword, Bu stood up in front of everyone in the Ward and gave this simple testimony in Japanese similar to that of a young missionary:
"I am so grateful for this day. I am grateful to God. I am grateful for baptism. I am grateful for you and your kindness.
"When I first met Elder Stout and Elder Stout, I really wanted to learn about Jesus Christ. But I did not know if I believed. I also was afraid that I would not be able to learn, because I do not speak Japanese. I did not speak English. Sometimes, I got frustrated when it was difficult to understand.
"But now I know that God lives. And I know that he loves me. And because he loves me, I was able to learn. Because I know he loves me, I got baptized.
"Baptism is not an end. It is a beginning. So, everyone, I am looking forward to learning together with you."


It was a perfect testimony. Absolutely perfect. The spirit was so powerful as the piano began playing "I Am a Child of God."

What made Elder Stout and I the most happy is that not only was Bu baptized, but he is converted unto the Lord. He testifies powerfully that when he reads the scriptures he loses his desire to do evil, and feels warmth and peace and happiness. He is so excited for the day that the Book of Mormon will be completed in his language. I'm positive that he will go on to be a great servant of the Lord in Myanmar in two years when he moves back.

I know that this church is true and that through the power of God we can do all things. In my interview with Sister Nagano this week, I realized that the biggest lesson I've learned in the last several months has been about Hope. When we have true hope, we know that the Lord does nothing without a purpose. When we have hope, we can be happy saints even in the midst of difficulty :) All things work for the good of those who serve God.

Ps, funny story, after the baptism we walked out to realize that they didn't have towels. President Nakagawa and the rest of our branch's members/Niigata's members looked at me and asked, "You didn't bring towels?!" Astonished, I responded: "Preach My Gospel doesn't say anything about towels!!!" We were lucky that the Relief Society woman were kind enough to find a bag of dish rags that they used to dry off 😂


The guy Elder Swenson and I found on the street because of the popped tire last week! He came to church and saw the baptism!!!

The next morning, we answer the phone nervously. It was one of President Nagano's assistants. He informed us that I will be staying in the area with an old missionary who I know very well named Elder Ulrich to finish my mission. Elder T. Stout will be heading off to an area neither of us know anything about: Ushiku. We are both beyond sad to see this era come to an end.
I think this truly marks the end of my childhood. My time with T. Stout Choro has wrapped up the last 20 years in such a sweet way, I'm so grateful to God for giving us such an amazing ending to the best years of youth anyone could ask for. We've both grown a lot, and we both have lots of growing to do in our new areas, and the Lord is well aware of that. I know He'll watch out for him, but I'm going to miss him a lot. Sanjo won't be the same without Elder Todd LeLand Stout. Neither will I.


We made a mural of all of the good times/funny pics we've taken/made. The kanji on there reads "tenkin", or "transfers." We're hanging it in the apartment in a big picture form so nobody forgets who loved Sanjo the most.

Last appointment with the Hoshino's and Elder T. Stout :(


Got yakiniku for our last P-Day!!



The crew's bikes as viewed from the reihaidou (chapel). These are always outside of the church when the four missionaries are in teaching lessons. 


Yui's registered in the hospital to have the baby!! Wait . . .


The red sun. "Blood has been shed this night." ;)


I love you Mama! I will tell you more about this area and the other people next week, so stay tuned :) We've got the final 6 weeks in Sanjo coming!!

    Elder Stout :D
          🇺🇸  •  🇯🇵
スタウト長老 ^o^

No comments:

Post a Comment