Monday, May 16, 2016

Training Elder Taylor

I have no idea where this year went.
I still feel like a brand new missionary.  However, my time came when Elder Li and I hugged at the train station and he told me, "I'll see you in a few months.  We're both going to be pretty different.  But after the mission, we're gonna hang out right?  Play Smash Bros, [basket]ball..."
"Oh yeah.  We're gonna play hard.  I love you, man." 
"I love you two." 
"Go change Japan."
 "You too."



Our first week together was one of the most frustrating weeks of my life, and now he's my favorite companion I've ever had.  Elder Li has become one of my best friends in the world.  I can not wait for the day that we can hang out again and talk about the old times as well as what we made of the new.  His sense of humor, his work ethic, our teamwork, and our desire to serve The Lord entirely with full faith became something really special.  And then I entered the platform and was gone in a flash on the train.



Getting to the Mission Home by myself was kinda terrifying, but Japanese people help you out A TON if you just ask.  I got a little lost, and when I got off of the train at my last stop, the time was 8:54.  I ran hard to make it on time, and was only a little sweaty when I crashed into the training meeting for the "greenies."  Once there, I had the privelege to sit between two brand new American Elders named Elder Taylor and Elder Bayfuss.  We joked and laughed when appropriate, but mostly I tried to hype them up for the work thinking, "One of these two could be my companion for the next 3 months..."
Well, you already know who it was. :)



Elder Ammon Taylor.  He's from Arizona, and he's an amazing young man.  He dreams of living up to his first name as a missionary in Japan, and was stoked when I told him I had just as big of dreams for this place.  He reminds me (only a little bit,) of Todd, especially when he wears his glasses.  He's a very loving Elder and knows exactly why he's on a mission.  I hope that The Lord can consecrate my efforts and qualify me for the work.  I imagine this is a little like what the brother of Jared felt when he approached God, "So, about needing light for the barges... I have some... rocks...."



Some people say that training is a "humbling" experience.  I think so far, the word "leveling" has been a bit more fitting.  My Japanese is not up to par, and I'm not a terribly organized or inspirational person, and although I thought I had EVERYTHING figured out before I met Elder Taylor, when someone is 100% dependent on you, you realize how blatantly unprepared you actually were.

I have no idea how I'm going to handle being a parent.

But, luckily, I have a wonderful companion who is patient with my flaws and only wants to do his best to serve The Lord.  That's all I ask for.  I know that even if that is all we have, we will still see miracles.  I think back to the most successful time of my mission so far, and it in fact was not when I had a companion who was fluent in the language.  I will always tie the success of my work directly to mine and my companion's faith, because I have seen countless times how related those two things are.

That said, our second day together we were invited out-of-the-blue to a member's house for dinner and he invited several other members.  We were asked to share our vision of the work.  Hoping to be impressive and to ignite the beginning of a flame that will eventually light Japan in "Dendo Fire", we prepared a full lesson including our vision for the ward and how we may work together to strengthen the culture of the church in Japan.  But it became apparent to me half-way through the lesson when the baby started screaming and the members started yawning and my companion looked blankly at me because he didn't understand a single word that had been spoken in the last several moments, that I fall far short of what The Lord needs from me.

And so I've been praying hard.  And it'll really help me if you do the same.  I know you already do, but I figured I'd just write it in case. 

But don't worry.  I'm not throwing in the towel or letting go.  The difference between winners and losers is that winners get up every time they fall.  And I know that "There's no growth in the comfort zone" so by my logic that means there's "Super growth in the super discomfort zone." ;) I expect both of our Japanese to improve a lot in the next bit 

Thank you so much for your emails, the really mean the world to me! :)   We're doing our best out here to be obedient, healthy, and happy, and successful!  I love you so much!  The Skype was the best, I keep thinking about it (when I have a second to think anyway ;) 
I feel your support and am so grateful!!!  Always thinking about you, can't wait to hear from you next week :)


スタウト長老! ^o^
Elder Stout! :D

ELDER TAYLOR!!!!!!!!

We got some traditional japanese treats!  They're filled with anko (sweet bean paste).  I don't think he liked it much, but no Americans do at first (except me ;)

The prayer mounds every morning when the Alarm hits 6:25....






No comments:

Post a Comment