Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Temple P-day

Heyo! :D

Sorry, I forgot to mention last week that there's been a change in the temple p-day schedule: instead of going as a big group of Sisters and then Elders, we go by Zones now.  So, my temple p-day came early.  Sorry!  That's why I'm late sending this email.






Yeah, Narita got SUPER cold recently! ("Mecha Samue," as Elder Kitagaki used to say, but I don't know if that kinda slang is appropriate ;) I definitely was not prepared for biking so much in this kinda weather, but I bought some gloves, and I wear my sweater and scarf every single day.  The sweater is pretty tacky because it wasn't made for a Sunday Shirt, but we make due with what we can (; Plus the scarf usually covers it up ok!  I've been meaning to buy this stuff called "Heat Tech" which is apparently way warm long-john type stuff Elder Kitagaki (er, I mean, Brother Kitagaki,) always told me to get but we never had time for.  But I mean, winter's almost over and I'm still alive... although, if I go to Niigata, like I plan to for Grandpa, I'm gonna need to buy a lot more winter clothes (;

Things with Elder Crosby are awesome!  He's the nicest guy.  It’s still super weird not having a Japanese man with me 24/7.  I feel a lot less on edge all the time knowing that my companion understands every word I know, but at the same time, I really think my Japanese comprehension skills' acceleration has begun to slow.  We've had a lot of fun together!  He makes this really good stuff called Okonamiyaki, which is like bacon and cabbage in pancakes... SO GOOD!  I'm sure you've had it (:  He's so funny and knows so much about the gospel that I'm really rusty on!  (I think he was a better seminary student than me.)  He's also going on his last 3 transfers, so he has a lot of experience and a lot to share when I ask for advice.  Honestly, I should ask for it more: 1) I know that he has a lot to say to help me 2) I know it makes him feel good when I ask.




Funny side-comment, when I don't have time to share the gospel with someone on the train, sometimes I'll just ask them for directions to start a quick conversation, complement them, and then leave them happier than I found them!  Because spontaneous compliments are the best kind, and plus they give an opportunity to serve a stranger in a super easy way, and that makes everyone feel good.

Americans get a lot more distracted talking to each other than one Nihonjin and one American, though.  So, that's been a bit of a trial thus far in the transfer.  But I absolutely LOVE our apartment "kankei" (relationship)! Everyone is so funny.  Elder Cardon is the other new Elder, and he's absolutely historical (that's how cool kids say hysterical.  AKA, spell-check is a cool kid.)  He laughs at everything, so he makes everyone feel good about themselves.  It’s also really nice to have Elder Jacob's around: I can always talk to him about the good times and we have lots of inside jokes whenever one of us needs to laugh.

I love getting to talk to lots of people, but I am still struggling with this language so hard.  I have this special talent where I can listen to an old man talk while saying, "Uh.  Uh... Hai... Uuuh~Uuh.... Hai.  Uh.  So desuyo ne!!  Haha!  Hai.  Unn..." after catching nothing more than maybe 1 in every 20 words and reading his expressions, and keep him going for well over 20 minutes.  I know it's a talent because I've done it 3 times this week.  Nobody can tell that I don't understand them except me, but it makes me so frustrated!!!!  I can talk well enough (kinda...), but understanding others... Esh.  I'm so bad at it.  I know I need to be patient because I'm brand new, but Japanese just feels smooth to my ear now.  I listen to every word and my brain tells me I should understand it, but there's just an empty space in my mind where absolutely nothing got from their head to mine.  But everyone thinks I understand them... and sometimes Elder Crosby just lets me handle old men who basically speak Kego when I don't even understand children.... its tough.  But those are just my absolute worst feelings on the matter, I love that people think I'm fluent, and I love that my companion trusts me so much!  And I love having to throw myself out there, because I relied WAY too much on my last companions.  That was definitely a weakness I'm improving.  Anyway, I'm holding out for when, like Grandma said, I'll wake up and understand everything, because I feel like that day will never come.  Then again, there was a point in time when I couldn't play the trombone OR Smash Bros (;   ~~~

We ALMOST met Takahisa kun but he had a report come up last minute and couldn't meet!! ): Yesterday, we completely filled our schedule and EVERY event fell through (visiting Goto, Nakamoto, doing basketball, and seeing Takahisa/Frank.) But we handed out a lot of Eikaiwa Chirashi and I talked to lots of people!  Haha, high school students are so funny.  Well, they think they are anyway, when the leader of a pack of boys will respond to my, "Hello!  Do you like English?" with a bold, "NOOOO!  Hahahaha!" and everyone will laugh and then he'll grab a flyer and quietly say, "I amu jasuto jokingu" (“I'm just joking” with a bad accent,) or a girl will grab one of my flyers and say, "Senk yu, I wirr rearn Engrish now!" and all of her friends will cheer.  But every once in a while I run into those kids who say, "Nah, I don't need one.  I lived in LA for 4 years." I try to invite them to church sometimes (;
Also, right by the Eki there's a bread shop that sells the cutest Melon Pan (bread) on the planet that I bought so that I could take a picture for Lylah!




Here's a super nice guy I met who spoke no English and as much Japanese as a first year American highschool student, but was so sweet and one of my most meaningful contacts yet! (: He asked for a picture of me, so naturally I needed on too (: His name was Jama (unfortunate when you live in Japan ;)



So, remember that one time when I sent a super funny picture of a bag I saw at a convenience store near a member's house?  If not, here it is again: 



Anyway, since then I've passed that place and the bag was gone.  It made me so sad!
Fast forward to Saturday when a member agreed to go visit less-active members with us to show them some love and invite them to come to an activity!  Here's how the trip went:

1) I found out where the bag went
(That's him. ;)




2) I got super car sick just like I do every time I get a lift in Japan.  Everyone says that Utah drivers are bad.... you have no idea.
*The light flashes yellow and we're still some 20 yards back.*
*He gently pumps the breaks.* "Eh?" He says, his mind pumping as he's already stressed by how late we are.
*Pumps them again, a single drop of sweat rolling down his face.* "EH."
*Completely stops the car by slamming on the brakes, throwing us all forward* "EH-!?"
*The light turns red.*
*Pounds the gas and cruises through just before being hit by nearby cars.* "EH!!! MO CHOTTO... GOMEN!!!"

3) We knock to no avail at 4 homes and then hear a lot of words from a lady who didn't much care for her husband's religion...
Her: "Wakarimasu ka?!" ("Do you understand?")
Me: "Chotto... Hayakatta desu ne..." ("That was pretty fast...")

4) We visited a mostly active member who really appreciated our brief talk and was gracious but looked very sad when we first arrived.  I think he was the reason we went out there (:

Moral of the story: things don't always work out the way you want them to.  But The Lord knows what he's doing.  Somehow, someway, with someone, he'll make all of your efforts count!

LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! (:

Your Favorite Son and Child,

スタウト長老! ^o^

Elder Stout! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment