Monday, October 12, 2015

"We are staying!"

......I lost my notes again.

I've actually been working without a planner for the last few days because I had to stretch my second one from the MTC out into this transfer, so, for the last week and a half I've been scribbling my schedule in a little notebook.  Honestly, our schedule is somewhat fluid (usually in good ways,) so it's not a huge deal, but I'm so excited to start using a new planner on Wednesday because, guess what?  That's the start of my second transfer in Japan!!  Also, I'm not quite as organized as I could be, and in contrast to John Stout of 4 months ago, I hate that feeling.

So, on the topic of transfers: for the past week or so Elder Hibino has seemed pretty sure that we were being split up in order for an English speaker to finish training me.  At least, I think so.  Because he'd say things to other missionaries, and then they'd say things back in simpler Japanese that I understood about us no longer being companions.  Anyway, yesterday he talked to a ward member who's in near constant communication with President Nagano and seemed just about positive that our time together was over.  My thoughts were that I was really sad because I don't feel like we've come very close at all, but at the same time, being able to understand my trainer would probably allow me to learn much faster.



So, today, we were rushing to the church to receive transfer calls with all the missionaries present, when Elder Hibino slowed to a near stop and answered his phone.  He nodded a few times, and then yelled......................


"We are staying!"

I know that The Lord has a plan for me, and that there are things that I really need to learn from my trainer that I haven't so far!  I was kind of surprised because he was, but I'm happy! (: I've already learned so much despite our language barrier.  He's such a sweet Elder and I'm excited to see how this transfer goes!!  I think most of all I'm glad that I get to stay in the gorgeous city of Narita to strengthen the ward and investigators I've already grown close to.

This is Katsundo San.  He's not interested in the church,but he keeps giving me kaki (persimmons) and is such a sweet man.  He comes to every activity we hold (Eikaiwa, basketball, FHE), except church, and is very kind. I think he's coming around  ;)  Anyway, thanks to him for teaching about the wonders of fruits!



Eikaiwa (English Class) continues to be good times.  Some really funny comments are always made in English here:

--*Super deep voice* "When I was a children, I goes fishing wis my fatha."

--(The funniest 80 year-old-lady comes to Eikaiwa every week. I made the mistake of telling my class my first name is John during a J/G pronunciation lesson and she's refused to call me Elder Stout since.  However, she treats me like a life-long friend.  Just before last week's baptism, I wore a suit to the class and she stopped me afterwards saying, in an accent akin to British-Japanese,) "OH MY!  John, you look GORGEOUS!  Like a real movie star!"

--(Ikasumi is basically a squid ink Raman Noodle flavor.)
 Boy: "I rike ikasumi.  You rike ikasumi?"
 Girl:  "Oh, no, no!" 
 Boy:  "Reeary?!  Brack Raman?"
 Girl:  "It is NOT delsrishius." 
 Boy:  "Aaaah, I RUV ikasumi."

--(Church member,) "I have faith, but... I have nervous!"

--(This woman is basically Sister Rosdahl if she was Japanese. She's one of my favorite people in the world; Addressing the politely disobedient missionaries at dinner whom she had already asked kindly, "Swatte kudasai!" (please sit)
 “DO NOT STAND UP.  SIT DOWN.  YOU MUST OBEY ME.”



Conference was absolutely amazing.  I've gained such a love for it over the past few weeks as I've read the session from 6 months ago on a daily basis.  Conference talks bring the spirit so easily and so powerfully.  When the prophets talk about engaging in spiritual feasts, I feel like conference is the most readily available buffet.  I hope that my love for conference only continues to grow for the rest of my life, but as of now, watching it as a missionary means so much more to me than it ever has.  I hope all of you will continue to study this session at least one talk a week for the next 6 months.  There's a reason that God in His infinite wisdom speaks directly to us through several different and unique outlets every 6 months.  EVERY SIX MONTHS.  Do you know how many of the world's churches have built themselves up and sustained themselves for hundreds of years on the Old Testament alone?  Far more impressive is that it was just one simple verse of holy text (aided by the holy spirit no doubt) that lead Joseph Smith to His knees in that sacred grove, which ultimately lead to the ushering in of the final dispensation.  How powerful these words are.

Following the last session of conference, I was reflecting on one very specific and deliberate challenge given to us from a messenger of God.  Mostly out of simple curiosity, I asked someone next to me, "What was the Japanese translation for the word ponderize?" (in Japanese.) At first, of course, he was confused.  I explained the simple definition: 80% pondering and 20% memorization.  He looked at the ceiling saying, "Oh yeah... it was... um..." and then shrugged his shoulders.  "I dunno." Making it obvious that he hadn't made note of the challenge at all.  It made me so sad.  I think all too often we sit through all that conference and don't let any of it affect us.  God has promised to give us revelation line upon line, precept upon precept.  We need to accept those lines and precepts so that we can see grand growth in the long run.  Oftentimes when struggling in life wondering why God hasn't been responding to us, maybe our actual concern should be that we aren't listening to His responses.  He gives us commitments every 6 months.  How many do we keep?
I've always been so terrible at re-reading conference talks and actually applying them to my life.  I'm still not very good at it, but I know that if we do our best, God will strengthen us!  

Anyway, I apologize for being preachy.  That's definitely not my job, but I hope that maybe those words will help one of you!  (If anyone is still reading except you, Ma...)  Mama, I absolutely loved this conference.  I don't have the best memory, but this was my favorite conference ever (: It was so uplifting and inspiring.  Every talk felt like it was aimed just at me, and I think every member who listened felt the same way! :) (Well, I know Rachel did, cuz she said so ;)



Next week I'll do a better job of recording the things that happened to me throughout my week!  As for now, I love you so much! 

I love you!

-Elder Stout

No comments:

Post a Comment