Monday, September 28, 2015

"My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee"

Things are going pretty great I think!  Still don't really understand what's goin on, but we're doing our best (;
Nah, my companion is awesome.  He's really the best.  I think he's only ever trying to do his very best for the mission, its just really difficult for me to understand what's going on.  But we're doing really well!  I'm getting braver at approaching people even if it just means saying two sentences and then standing by them.  I think people feel something when you stand next to them.  A kind of subconscious love and support.  Maybe it’s just me, but y'all should try it out with someone who looks lonely!

CONFERENCE!!  I've been reading last conference’s talks over the last two days actually: I love hearing from today's authorities.  I think "uplifting" is an insufficient word for how happy the words on a screen make me feel, you know?  Especially the talk by Elder Perry.  Its pretty short, all of you should read it.  He talks about the family, and my family quote would be: 

Why should marriage and family matter--everywhere? Public opinion polls show that marriage is still the ideal and the hope among the majority of every age group--even among the millennial generation, where we hear so much about chosen singleness, personal freedom, and cohabitation instead of marriage. The fact is that strong majorities worldwide still want to have children and to create strong families.

WOW!  So many of the youth today think that some of our beliefs are super unpopular or outdated and that they're living archaic rules, but it’s simply not true.  Most people in the world today share our belief (: (Look it up. ;) Anyway, we won't get to see it until next week when we watch it in Japanese.  And my mind will probably fry after the first 2 of 10 hours.  However, I think I might be able to download the English script from off the church's website and read along as we watch, so... pray for me (;

CONGRATULATIONS EMILY!!!  (John's cousin, Emily Arnoldsen) And to the lucky man who I've never met, but who is going to have to put up with me at cabin reunions at the next edition of Samurai and Ninja..... I mean, that's totally not actually happening.... (; But seriously, I'm so excited for you two!  I got the invitation today in the mail and it was adorable (:

So, guess what....?  WE HAD SUCCESS AT A DOOR.  That almost never happens because the Japanese all have cameras at their doors and about 3/4 of the 1/4 who actually answer the doorbell won't open the door or listen to you once they realize you're christian.  So, its hard... but we were tracting and about to give up, and just like in every good missionary story—which you should pay attention to because the things that God repeats are very obviously important that's why he repeats himself—we decided to nock on two more doors.  And we met someone!!  I don't know if I should use his name, but he's from far away and speaks only a little English.  He heard me say that we had a message and said, "Sure, I'll listen to you." My first real lesson in which I understand what is going on is tomorrow, and my companion won't be able to help a whole lot!!  I've been praying and studying for it.  Please pray for me!  The man seems awesome, and I know he can be blessed by what we have to offer him. (:

On a subtly different note, I found out a few days ago that someone I've met used to be married to a member of the Yakuza (Japanese mafia) and somehow escaped with their life and no consequences.  Said person has a dragon tattoo covering their entire back, which (don't worry) I have not asked to see.  Man.  The things that some people go through are beyond me, and yet, I think the contrast of their old life is often what draws them toward the truth.

ALSO GUESS WHAT!!  Hibino Chourou started telling the story about the bomber at the Hawaiian temple and the investigator didn't believe him, and then I raised my hand and said that it was my grandpa who reported the story.  Hibino and all the other missionaries who later heard all flipped.  Apparently that story has spread all throughout Japanese mission areas!  Crazy, right?  They all especially love the part of the man saying, "Keko desu." And grandpa smiling and walking right through the door.  HA!

Remember that time that we sang, "My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee" in choir?  Well, if not, then go listen to it right now.  And even if you do remember, go listen to it right now.  Just thinking of that song gives me shivers.  Its gotta be one of my top 5 church songs of all time and I think about it almost every time I'm feeling down.  If you ever get the chance to send me a CD...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq-KhxsUxNo

Here's a miracle for you that I shared with my mission President:

Dear President Nagano,

  Things are going well!  My companion and I are having a good experience serving our AB members.  I love brother Takanaka and brother Miyada.  They are such sweet spirits and I feel like we understand each other!  I love having the chance to serve them and our ward members!  The work is only hard when we don't have a plan or we're not following our plan.  Elder Hibino and I are doing much better at leaving appointments after 45 minutes.  I've started a scripture challenge where I pray for the answer to a specific question, and then read the first verse I open to for the answer.  Another missionary told me about how he received this challenge from Elder Nelson the last time he visited this mission, and while I may not have gotten the challenge directly from this authority, I think God is accepting my effort.  I've seen consistent miracles for the last six nights.  I was afraid to ask a certain question for fear that it couldn't be found in the Book of Mormon, but then I realized that fear is the opposite of faith.  If I want to see miracles, I need pure faith: a half-hearted effort won't suffice.  So I cast aside all fear, wrote the question in my journal, and flipped open my scriptures.  The first verse I looked at answered my question in its entirety.  It truly was a miracle.  And I've seen just as miraculous things every evening since.  I have an ever growing testimony that God works through faith, and that if we just have unwavering faith--no doubt, no fear--he will answer all of our prayers.

Sincerely, 
  Elder Stout

You need faith.  Some of you are struggling with your testimonies; please let me be the last one who needs to remind you that fear and doubt cannot co-exist with faith.  That does not mean that if you have questions you can't receive revelation.  That means that when you have questions you LOOK for revelation because you know it will come in God's timing, rather than concluding that because you have a problem with something someone said the church isn't true.  It’s a difficult principle to live, but I want to promise you that I don't see most of the miracles that I do because I'm a missionary.  I see them because of faith, whether it's mine, my companions, other missionaries, members, or the mission president’s.  Have faith.

Anyway, I am taking care of myself!  Promise.  If I die out here, both of us will be surprised.  Unless it was to save a cat from being hit by a truck.  Then probably only you will be surprised.  Cuz the cat wouldn't expect anything less from me (;

Love you lots and I appreciate the support more than you know!

Elder Stout


Ps, as always, I'm really sorry for the emails I couldn't respond to.  P-days are so busy out in the field: every week we do a service project Monday nights and it usually means I can't write as much as I'd like.

I've grown to really like rice crackers?  Especially exotic ones like squid (;


No comments:

Post a Comment