Monday, September 21, 2015

Miracles

Narita is the BEST!  I love it so much here!!  Everything is so pretty and chill.  So many people here even speak a touch of English... well, they at least understand a touch of it (;  But we're right by the airport, so we run into a good number of foreigners who speak Eigo! (: I'm ever striving to just open my mouth, because approaching people hasn't become any easier since arriving here, but I'm seeing so many miracles!  Little things like feeling I should move and sit next to someone on a train, and just as I do they stand up and leave but the person who walks in right then and sits down right next to me speaks fluent English and has a Christian background.  To the man I'm describing, I gave a Book of Mormon.  He said, "My entire family back home is Mormon... Thank you, I'll read this!"




My companion is good, I think!  I know he's a physical therapist, because he gives me massages every few nights.  Apparently my spine is a bit more bent than is usual!  Probably from marching band.  He's decided to help me as much as he can, but suggested, "Afta mishun, kiroporacta ebery day!" He also loves Tennis and has used that skill in finding and fellowshipping several times since I've been with him.  He's really good, apparently he got into college because of his talents!  Other than that, I know he was a punk before his mission, but I can't decipher anything else.  Its really hard to try to teach lessons when we barely understand anything about each other, but The Lord is with us and there's a lot for both of us to learn!



Another time, (last night) I was having a pretty awful day, and nothing seemed to be going right, but as I stepped off the train and we were headed home, I heard someone say, "Hey look, missionaries!!" I met a whole family of members from Utah.  Their oldest son just got home from serving in Sapporo.  Not only that, their daughter who's my age was really good friends with someone in my district!  Getting to help them with their luggage was such a blessing.  It felt so nice to speak to people who understood me.

So, eating... yeah.  We pretty much eat white toast with honey, pasta with mabudofu, and sometimes curry, and eggs.  Then outside of the apartment we get nice restaurant meals.  Sushi, ramen, and pretty much everything else here is heavenly.  Every Sunday one of the members makes us lunch after church and it’s SO GOOD.  We're so lucky for that.  Oh yeah!!  And your companion did invite us over! (:  We had a really amazing dinner with her.  She's such a good chef too.  I ate way too much, and it was so worth it (: I'll send a picture! 

Missionaries having dinner at Bishop and Sister Sugimoto's home.  Sister Sugimoto, top left, was
 Elder Stout's mom's mission companion, Sister Masago!


So, for those of you wondering about the rain here: it hasn't flooded at all in Narita, (like I've said, this area is pretty mountainous, so all of the water runs into the valley.) However, we've had tons and tons of rain.  And Hibino Chourou and I decided to go to the adjacent city the other day, which just so happened to be the rainiest day I've seen yet.  And Sakurai is about an hour's bike ride.  So I was completely soaked to the bone by that night... *shudder* Other than that, I love the rain!  Just biking in it for hours on end... (; I've had a cold since my third day here.  Elder Hibino caught a cold from another Elder who transferred out when I transferred in.  I wasn't sure what he meant when he said, "Ah, I'm caught!  I'm caught!" until I "caught" what he had. d: Anyway, my sore throat has been basically consistent after it climaxed 2 weeks ago.  Now it’s just dully numb d: Do you know any remedies for that?  Probably just eating healthier... XD

Bike riding rain poncho.  Only in Japan!


So, as far as Japanese, I don't feel like I'm improving at all.  But I know I probably am...

We went to Narita San, one of the biggest Bhuddist Shrines in the world, which is just in my backyard, and it was SO COOL.  It was the most gorgeous scenery I've ever seen.  I'll send pictures!  There were so many old cracked stones with ancient writings on them, pools full of turtles and coy fish, old bridges, monks, gongs, graves, relics.... AH.  IT’S LIKE AN ARCHEOLOGICAL DREAM COME TRUE EXCEPT PEOPLE STILL USE IT DAILY.  (I may want to be an animator now, but that stuff is still my favorite.)






So, I want to summarize a miracle that happened to me this week.  We had a zone conference with President Whiting of the 70.  Just before the conference I looked EVERYWHERE for my spiritual journal and couldn't find any sign of it.  Finally, I just gave up and grabbed my iPad, but then Elder Nabrotzky said, "You can't use that in the Chapel, you need paper notes."  So, kind of annoyed by that, I went and grabbed my scratch paper notebook.  Its the one that you bought with me just before I left!  Kind of a nicer looking thing, but after I got my spiritual journals at the MTC bookstore about a week in, I started using this thing for scratch.  Anyway, when I got to the conference I sat down.  Immediately after we started, the announcer said, "You're allowed to use iPads if you brought them." But I didn't have mine.  The conference began, and everything he shared was so powerful.  In essence, we kind of got lectured about how, "Why aren't there more baptisms in Japan?" many excuses are given like, "Everyone's Bhuddist, people don't feel a need for a church here..." But in the end, he told us it was because of our lack of Faith.  After surveying the entire mission, he found that a pathetic 1% of all of the missionaries challenge to baptism after the first lesson, as instructed in Preach my Gospel.  The missionaries here are afraid to do so because of how forward it seems, but Elder Whiting said, "If you ask, 'If you come to know that these teachings are true, will you follow Jesus Christ's example and be baptized by one holding proper priesthood authority?' will anyone be offended?  NO!  Its not a rude question.  But it will give them a clear idea of the importance of this ordinance."
Miracles come about through Faith.  And when you find excuses to avoid the teachings of prophets, well, that's a grand lack of faith.
Anyway, towards the end of the meeting, I had taken some 9 pages of notes.  I ended up writing really big in some places which is out of character for me.  I took notes where I might not have needed to and ended up using a lot of paper.  I had just filled the page I was on, and I turned it as President Whiting, about to conclude, thought aloud, "Be aware of the order in which events in your life occur.  God is ALWAYS in the timing.  Alright.  I'm trying to decide, what would God have me tell you right now?"
The next page by sequence of the days writing in this book just so happened to be a page which I had etched only two brief lines on in my 3rd day at the MTC.  The first read, "The natural man." 
"The natural man," Elder Whiting said, "Is an enemy of God and always will be unless we adopt the character of Christ."
In disbelief, I looked down at the next line in my notebook, scrawled hastily on the first random page I had opened up to nearly 2 and a half months ago after hearing some inspired words in a talk, "Christ turns outward when you and I would turn in."
"Jesus Christ turns out when you and I turn in." Elder Whiting said.
It was direct revelation.  I truly believe that God spoke to me personally in the most obvious and clear way that he deemed necessary.  For the last 4 minutes of this man's testimony I felt the spirit stronger than I ever have before in my entire life.  Not the usual light or warmth in your bosom, or even insights to your mind beyond your normal ability to think; this feeling was like a fire inside of me.  There was so much power burning in my heart that I was shocked and inspired and excited the remainder of that day.  But the first thing that happened when I got home was I found my journal, and I got my iPad out.  Were it not for so many tiny miracles which transpired over the last two and a half months, I would not have had that experience.  God is in the timing.

I know that Heavenly Father is real.  He loves us.  He's aware of each of us.  His son, Jesus Christ, is the only path through which we can be forgiven of our sins.  He loves us and will help us if we just do our best.  It’s not easy to gain a testimony.  Not even in the mission field, believe it or not.  I cannot tell you how hard I've struggled out here to gain mine, but I promise that if you sincerely listen to the simple teachings we hear every week at church and apply them honestly, that God will reveal himself to you in such a way that you won't be able to deny him to others.  I testify of these things in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment