Monday, November 9, 2015

"A testimony is made in the bearing of it."

My first real udon... IT WAS SO GOOD

I'm doing much better.  I haven't gotten any less frustrated with Japanese and kinda feel more now than ever that I'm never going to be able to speak this language, but I'm loving every day more and more. My other study is coming really well, I'm growing so close with my companion, and am finding good ways to influence the area that I've been placed in!  I'm still new to this though ;P

I loved the mission experience you sent earlier this week. I downloaded the copy of the Ensign you referenced and read the entire talk (The Candle of the Lord by Boyd K. Packer, January 1983) and it was so powerful.  It reminded me of some really important things I used to understand so well but have forgotten as I've grown older.  The most important might be that "a testimony is made in the bearing of it." I've realized THAT'S why missionaries grow so much spiritually.  Because we have so many chances to bear our testimonies!
  God's ways all align perfectly.  In few places is it more miraculously apparent than in the fact that--just like we've always known that to receive happiness you must give of yourself, to find yourself you must lose yourself--to gain a testimony firm enough to become a pure knowledge, you must give your testimonies to others.

So, funny story to lighten the mood of things, the other day Elder Hibino was trying to remind Elder Jacobs of one of the sisters they had both worked with, but couldn't remember her name.  "She's... oh...eto... she's... Yeah, you know?  The sister who looks like an Elephant!"  Apparently he thought her long braid looked like a trunk from behind XD
  Another funny story.  Elder Hibino and I were talking about buffalo for some reason (I'm not sure why either...) and to make a distinction between the animals' genders he said, "The horn ones is guys, desho? The horn ones is guys and... the milk ones is sisters!" (Male and Female in the mind of many Japanese church members is "Guy" and "Sister."  Not sure why its "guy" instead of "brother," but I just really love the fact that he refers to every girl whether member, non-member, or animal, as a sister.)

So apparently "Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam" is a Japanese HYMN!!!  Not just in the child's song book, no, we sang it in sacrament meeting!!  I couldn't help but sing it just like I used to as a lil' guy, even though all the other members sang it much more professionally: "A suuuuuun... BEAM!  A suuuuuuun... BEAM!"  But translated into even simpler language so as to fit all of the long words in Japanese, the simple message of the song is very uplifting (:  We never graduate from being sunbeams, I think.  We're still supposed to be "lights on a hill."  Recently one of my goals has been to become one of those people that just makes others happy.  You know, the ones who always smile and ask you how you are and make you cookies and stuff!  I've got a long way to go, but I still think that simple kindness is the cure-all to helping any person on the planet.

THE PACKAGE CAME!!  I loved reading letters from all of you so much!!!
And mama, those chocolates are the bestest thing ever.  I love that you sent them, you're the best (: Also, I seriously started dancing in the apartment when I saw that you sent MUSIC.  When I turned it on (an American Heritage Lyceum track) I seriously cried when I heard a band again for the first time in so long.  Letters from you and music are the best presents in the world.  Well, I'm not gonna lie, I'm stoked to eat ThanksGiving Dinner.  Thanks for sending that (;

At Eikaiwa, this little 10-year-old girl has started coming with her mom, and it's been so fun to teach with her in the audience.  I've started teaching loads simpler, and I make goofy gestures and talk in a Mickey Mouse voice a lot.  She laughs at all my jokes which is super good for my self confidence (;  But really, with her there I've realized that speaking simpler and acting a little ridiculous while explaining words helps people learn soooo much better.  It’s given me a chance to let my goofy side out which is sometimes difficult when nobody speaks English, so I've absolutely loved making that new friend.

So, the other night we knocked on the door of someone the sisters referred us to.  We had popped in for just a minute last week and given him a chapter of scripture to read and set up another appointment.  Anyway, I was getting ready to teach him how to pray when he invited us into his genkan and then took off a hundred miles an hour in advanced Japanese just ripping into Elder Hibino.  "Oh great." I thought.  I thought of a million things I could say or do and got frustrated just imagining all of the things he was probably saying, but Elder Hibino never lost his smile.  My companion would respond with short, polite sentences that triggered long huffy responses.  On it went, until the man gave a half smile, nodded to something, and agreed to me offering a prayer.  I have no idea what happened other than my beloved companion followed the spirit in meekness and now we have 2 appointments set up this week.  Oh man.
I'm so lucky to have such a spiritual giant as my companion out here! I love him so much.  When I'm frustrated with Japanese, his English lightens my mood, and when I'm frustrated with other's (though I shouldn't be) he handles it so well.  He's my trainer for a reason and I'm learning so much.

Anyway, I love Japan!!!!!  Gotta go for now, but I love you so much and look forward to hearing from you (:


-スタウト長老

Elder Stout

Happy Birthday Miyata Kyodai

Yes.  This actually happened.  Halloween, we did a "Mario Kart"
activity for the chillins (:

Yaki niku is SO good!  There are lots of restaurants in Japan where
they give you raw meat and you just fry it in the middle of the table
where there's a fire :D

No comments:

Post a Comment